Aruba Central monitoring

Michael Dieter

Because of COVID19 the University tried to reduce density in residence halls by leasing about 75 apartments in nearby complexes. Each apartment is an island with ISP service; the decision was made to deploy WIFI access points in each apartment supported by Aruba Central.  None of the Aruba Central visibility can be brought back to the on-campus controllers that support WIFI across all campus locations.

Can you please consider developing some datasources that exploit the Aruba Central API?

🙏 🤞 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian

As a generalization, I would expect that Aruba Central presents many similar metrics to what Meraki does; so in that sense replicating what Logicmonitor already does with regards to Meraki by substituting the corresponding Aruba entity would be a great way to think about a baseline.  I have never seen what Logicmonitor's capabilities are with regards to Meraki but I would completely expect that LM worked with customers to ID the highest value metrics that it captures and presents.

More specifically, I would say that we have the most immediate interest in the Network Operations app (only with Access Points currently, no switches or other SD WAN gateways) and within that here are some of the valuable metrics. (Again I'd expect that these are similar to what LM does with Meraki).  Its too much to paste in a bunch of screenshots so this is just a listing, but I'd be happy to zoom and screenshare with you if that would help.

• Overview --> Summary tab
    • Clients
    • Bandwidth Usage per Network
    • Client count per Network
    • Top APs by Usage
    • Top Clients by Usage
  • Overview --> WiFi Connectivity tab
    • All: Connection Experience (summary graph that shows overall success rate of Association, Authentication, DHCP, DNS)
  • Devices --> Access Points
    • Access points (Access Point name, status, address, model, sn#)
    • Access points (Access Point name, band, channel, utilization, power, noise
  • Clients --> All
    • Client name, status, connected to

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Brian

I forgot to include that it would also be valuable to figure out how to include data from "Alerts & Events".   Initially maybe it would be enough only to be able to collect a count of the existing alerts, their respective severity and their Aruba Central status (open/ack'ed).  And I think a longer term ideal would probably be to figure out how to send events directly to LMLogs.

Another frame of reference that might be helpful in thinking about how to achieve and present both the above and my first reply would be to consider "Aruba Central" as a monitored resource in much the same way as a Vmware vCenter or an on-premises Aruba Controller is: lots of multi-instance datasources where instances provide insight into individual entities generated not by polling that individual entity but by polling the centralized resource.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • LogicMonitor Staff

Hi @SeanStarson - We're looking into this, but don't yet have any official plans. We'll keep you updated with progress :) 

Thanks @Michael Dieterfor the detailed response on desired monitoring!

Ideally we'll build this as a cloud integration since the information is available via API, but traditional DataSources may be a faster short term option. 

• 3 months later...

@SeanStarson

We never tried to develop any ArubaCentral datasources on our own and never followed up with LM product development beyond this thread.   The environment was ~100 APs deployed in a local apartment complex; each apartment served by its own account with the dominant local ISP.   But the University opted not to renew those apartment leases for the fall 2021 semester and as such our use-case disappeared so we decommissioned our APs and had no need to continue to pursue datasources.   I'll continue to pay attention to what progress LM may make since Aruba Central may become a good match for the University as our other use-cases evolve along with Aruba's product offerings.

@Michael Dieter

No problem, our urgency increased rapidly over the break so I ended up smashing something out for AP's GW's and Switch's, but due to the number of API calls we will likely only use the AP datasource. Let me know if you are interested in the code, which comes with the disclaimer that I am by no means a good coder and I am sure there are better ways to achieve what I have done so (I will pass the code to LM to hopefully accelerate their development of an official datasource).

I have at least made the code universal, so no matter where your apigw is it will work (well as long as the property is set).

• 8 months later...

Just upgraded our Aruba APs  to AOS 10 removing the controllers of a site. Now we would need to monitor 120 APs as individual devices instead of one or two controllers. If there is a way to get all the info talked about in this thread from Aruba Central to Logic Monitor that would be amazing. I have checked and was not able to find anything in my Logic Monitor for how to do this. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 12:24 PM, Crandall said:

Just upgraded our Aruba APs  to AOS 10 removing the controllers of a site. Now we would need to monitor 120 APs as individual devices instead of one or two controllers. If there is a way to get all the info talked about in this thread from Aruba Central to Logic Monitor that would be amazing. I have checked and was not able to find anything in my Logic Monitor for how to do this. 

Assuming the LM locator code works here is what I was working on: M3E6GF
You will need to change the applies to from null to your "device", check the technical notes for how to set it up.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, SeanStarson said:

Assuming the LM locator code works here is what I was working on: M3E6GF
You will need to change the applies to from null to your "device", check the technical notes for how to set it up.

Could you share that datasource again please? I'm getting an error when trying to import it that says it belongs to another private repo.