• 0

Need a filtered disk free space report


Question

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

You would think that would be an easy request, here are some thoughts from the top of my head (assuming it shouldn't involve daily manual work):

  • Use an outside script to query the LM API to get the data and generate the needed report
  • Create a Dashboard report with a dynamic table widget showing all F: drives with Bottom 10/25 for F: drive free space, or perhaps have the FreeSpace column uses an Expression like "if(le(FreeSpace,8589934592),FreeSpace/1024/1024,unkn())" and tell the customer to ignore the NaN entries.
  • Create a custom DataSource that gets only data if it's <= 8GB (either directly or having it query LM), perhaps list each server as instances. Which you can then create a report on.
  • Convince the customer to let the monitoring system do its job and save them time by letting it notify them when it drops below 8GB instead of getting let another daily email that will be ignored. :)

 

Edited by Mike Moniz
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
  • Administrators
13 minutes ago, Mike Moniz said:

that is sometimes not an option or a tough fight at first

Yep. Sorry, the sales guy in me did a backflip when you mentioned it. 😉

If I were to do it, i'd do the second to last option: clone the existing datasource and apply discovery filters to only discover only those drives that have less than 8GB of space. This opens the door for pretty much every solution (reports, dashboards, custom thresholds, etc.).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
  • Administrators

Any heartburn over adjusting the thresholds so they get a yellow at 8GB and red at 3.5GB? Then you could run an Alerts report, filtered down to that logicmodule and only include the yellow criticality alarms. They could exclude these alarms from their workflow by filtering them out of their escalation chains with a pretty simple rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
11 minutes ago, Bruce Berger said:

 Stuart likes the 2nd to last idea posed by Mike, and coincidentally I headed down that road before I posted, but couldn't figure out how to filter the datasource for the <=8Gb. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I like the dashboard approach also, but it would likely get messy - there's as many as 120 active servers that could trigger the threshold.

Quote

Any heartburn over adjusting the thresholds so they get a yellow at 8GB and red at 3.5GB?

Hmm, this might work also...

Warning alerts at 8GB is a better option but just for completeness if someone finds this in the future (unlike DenverCoder9). WinVolumeUsage already has a few AD filters like Capacity > 0, so you can clone and setup FreeSpace < 8589934592 (did not test this though), or switch the whole thing to a script-based check. Also 120 isn't that bad, the dynamic table can show up to 500, and hopefully they wouldn't wait until there are too many.

Edited by Mike Moniz
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
  • Administrators
18 hours ago, Bruce Berger said:

 Stuart likes the 2nd to last idea posed by Mike, and coincidentally I headed down that road before I posted, but couldn't figure out how to filter the datasource for the <=8Gb. Can someone point me in the right direction?

@Mike Moniz has it just right. Setting up a discovery filter where "FreeSpace" is "LessEqual" to "8589934592".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Administrators
28 minutes ago, Mike Moniz said:
  • Convince the customer to let the monitoring system do its job and save them time by letting it notify them when it drops below 8GB instead of getting let another daily email that will be ignored. :)

This.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

This.

 

Agreed, but as an MSP also, I know that is sometimes not an option or a tough fight at first. Especially for new customers and/or ones that haven't used monitoring systems before or have bad experiences.

 

Edited by Mike Moniz
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

Yep. Sorry, the sales guy in me did a backflip when you mentioned it. 😉

Yeah, what is funny is that our account reps would do a backflip if I told them we will not do that :)  Worth the flight long term though and usually works out once confidence is gained.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
53 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

This.

They get alerts at 3.5Gb already. The customer wants one daily report that shows all systems that are close to running out of space so that they can tend to them all at once, rather than reacting to alerts in interrupt mode..

But thanks for your idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Mike Moniz said:

You would think that would be an easy request, here are some thoughts from the top of my head (assuming it shouldn't involve daily manual work):

  • Use an outside script to query the LM API to get the data and generate the needed report
  • Create a Dashboard report with a dynamic table widget showing all F: drives with Bottom 10/25 for F: drive free space, or perhaps have the FreeSpace column uses an Expression like "if(le(FreeSpace,8589934592),FreeSpace/1024/1024,unkn())" and tell the customer to ignore the NaN entries.
  • Create a custom DataSource that gets only data if it's <= 8GB (either directly or having it query LM), perhaps list each server as instances. Which you can then create a report on.
  • Convince the customer to let the monitoring system do its job and save them time by letting it notify them when it drops below 8GB instead of getting let another daily email that will be ignored. :)

 

First, this customer is not trainable 😉

 Stuart likes the 2nd to last idea posed by Mike, and coincidentally I headed down that road before I posted, but couldn't figure out how to filter the datasource for the <=8Gb. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I like the dashboard approach also, but it would likely get messy - there's as many as 120 active servers that could trigger the threshold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
35 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

Any heartburn over adjusting the thresholds so they get a yellow at 8GB and red at 3.5GB? Then you could run an Alerts report, filtered down to that logicmodule and only include the yellow criticality alarms. They could exclude these alarms from their workflow by filtering them out of their escalation chains with a pretty simple rule.

Hmm, this might work also...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.