Antony Hawkins

VMWare Guest OS counts

Posted (edited)

A couple of DataSources for your vCenters, that will show you counts of VMs per unique OS, or per OS family.

They will look a bit like this:

1001596544_ScreenShot2020-01-08at18_13_57.thumb.png.4af55f8ad083676cb073e4384f68f9cf.pngjust i

...and...

1306217394_ScreenShot2020-01-08at17_51_28.png.05c3ab7bef48c8286541829841e10ced.png

With further tweaking you could easily have these specifically pull out and therefore alert on the presence of "out of support" OSs (Windows 2000 and 2003, as per above screenshot!).

Interestingly, quite often VMWare will list the family as 'null' while a full OS name is reported. I have no idea why, but that's what comes back from the API.

Credentials are the same esx.user and esx.pass that you'll already have set for your vCenters, so just import the LogicModules and they'll apply and work.

:)

VMware_vCenter_GuestOSNameCounts: NPPDLT (v1.1.0)

VMware_vCenter_GuestOSFamilyCounts: JP3KG6 (v1.1.0)

Edited by Antony Hawkins
Updated for v1.1.0, public

Both are still under security review...I am assuming you can probably get that cleared easy enough....😀

Ah, sorry, they got marked private during the LM Exchange roll-out. I've asked the team to review and release them, and have saved new versions as explicitly public. Once they're cleared I'll add them to a package so there should be a single import.