Dependencies or Parent/Child Relationships


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

As far as i'm aware, you can't manually edit ERIs. However, you can easily write a static PropertySource that statically tags those devices. You'd then also need to write the companion TopoSource to tie them together, unless you were planning on manually adding ERIs that are already referenced by an existing TopoSource, which isn't likely. They pretty much have to work in conjunction with each other.

That said, after you get the topology awareness into LM, you still need to specify your entry point, which orients the dependency tree from root to tip. Let's keep this conversation going because I think we can do what you're looking to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allow devices to be dependent on one another. If a router goes down, the switch behind it will most likely go down or have an error as well.

I have customers who really need this feature, and they are quite upset to learn the throttling stand-in could cause loss of knowledge about the actual root cause.  This thread has been open since 201

This is great news. From my part, I would like to see 1. Automatic network topology discovery, i.e., Logicmonitor would automatically scan the network and discover how devices are connected toge

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

As far as i'm aware, you can't manually edit ERIs. However, you can easily write a static PropertySource that statically tags those devices. You'd then also need to write the companion TopoSource to tie them together, unless you were planning on manually adding ERIs that are already referenced by an existing TopoSource, which isn't likely. They pretty much have to work in conjunction with each other.

That said, after you get the topology awareness into LM, you still need to specify your entry point, which orients the dependency tree from root to tip. Let's keep this conversation going because I think we can do what you're looking to do.

 

You think we can do it!

What would it take to have a call with you to discuss further? We are an MSP and need this capability ...."yesterday :)" to decrease the number of tickets created by dependent devices.

 

Just for reference:

I am familiar with the TopologySources/Mapping/Root Cause Analysis....pretty slick.

I even circled back and retested...again...using these two datasets. Neat concept but not a solution for our requirements.

image.png.11cc93295efda21b41b3173b737b7deb.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Todd Theoret said:

Thank you Stuart. Any chance there is a potential solution being developed which would allow....manually tagging....devices?

So this has been an issue for us a lot -- everything was tossed into the topology umbrella for alert suppression with no easy way to manually create dependencies.  There are many topologies that are simply not discoverable, like multipoint/mesh WAN topologies and really anything not handled by topology sources. 

The good news is that some kind support tech provided me a Manual_Topology module that linked various devices manually that eluded auto-discovery.  The bad news is it is awkward and leverages hardcoded device names and MAC addresses.  But, it is possible.  IMO the UI and/or API should be extended to support manual links.  It is a last resort of course, but there are common cases where it is the only resort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mnagel said:

So this has been an issue for us a lot -- everything was tossed into the topology umbrella for alert suppression with no easy way to manually create dependencies.  There are many topologies that are simply not discoverable, like multipoint/mesh WAN topologies and really anything not handled by topology sources. 

The good news is that some kind support tech provided me a Manual_Topology module that linked various devices manually that eluded auto-discovery.  The bad news is it is awkward and leverages hardcoded device names and MAC addresses.  But, it is possible.  IMO the UI and/or API should be extended to support manual links.  It is a last resort of course, but there are common cases where it is the only resort.

Thank you for replying!...any chance you have a sample of this Manual_Topology script populated to show the required hardcoded syntax and format?

I believe I found the module you are referencing:

image.thumb.png.5a22a814b9d7cd63455c1a17d92361d8.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
15 minutes ago, Todd Theoret said:

What would it take to have a call with you to discuss further? We are an MSP and need this capability ...."yesterday :)" to decrease the number of tickets created by dependent devices.

We have our monthly office hours where we are available to answer these kinds of questions. In fact, we're having one today: https://logicmonitor.zoom.us/webinar/register/7916079754259/WN_r5R0uO--SuKYk5yIH_Mbpw?_ga=2.222987995.1127647679.1614006119-851486786.1607022888

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with @mnagel, not all relationships between resources are technical and discovereable using techincal data.  Some relatiosnhips are business process relationships.  Being able to manually arbitrarily relate resources would be great for us to model our business process dependencies between resources.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Right. We have an example of mapping this "non-discoverable" business dependency using Super Mario World level entrances/exits. We have existing objects in LM that have ERIs. Then we wrote a TopoSource to statically relate one object with another until we have a complete mapping. I can demo this during Office Hours today.

image.png.359e4898b98594b1d65d776fe134e643.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

Right. We have an example of mapping this "non-discoverable" business dependency using Super Mario World level entrances/exits. We have existing objects in LM that have ERIs. Then we wrote a TopoSource to statically relate one object with another until we have a complete mapping. I can demo this during Office Hours today.

image.png.359e4898b98594b1d65d776fe134e643.png

 

Stuart...when trying to register for the zoom call....today is not an option you can select.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Sorry, it just ended. You can view the replay here: 

You can also register for any of the upcoming Office Hours where you can ask your questions live.

You can find the Super Mario DS and TS that I reference by searching "Super Mario" in the Exchange Public Repository:

image.thumb.png.e9e17fcc17dbd9468e4e6ee966a25150.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.