Richard Ortiz

Dependencies or Parent/Child Relationships

47 minutes ago, Steve Francis said:

Published, locator 24KKNG

Updated the documentation article above. Please let me know if there are any other issues.

Working beautifully now!

Has using an empty value for the depends_on property been tested to have negative results? My testing shows no ill effect. Adding this property at the group level obviously speeds deployment. However if the primary device is within the group I don't want to make it dependent on itself. Adding the depends_on property to the primary device with an empty value seems to resolve this.

Definitely a step in the right direction for LM..  now we just need to be able to use this for stuff that goes down but doesn't have an SDT lol... I assume the same logic can be applied but that involves deeper changes than data sources :)

I may have missed it but if it hasn't been requested, besides host dependencies, we should have service dependencies. There should also be multiple dependencies.

* Host 03 depends on Host01
* Host 04 depends on Host01 AND/OR Host02
  -- (and) don't alert Host04(and services) if Host01 and/or Host02 are down.
  -- ( or) don't alert on Host04 if just Host01 or Host02 are down.
* Service07 depends on Service05
* Service10 depends on Service05
* Service08 depends on Service01 AND/OR Service02
  -- (and) don't alert on service 08 if Serviec01 and/or Service02 are down.
  -- ( or) don't alert on service08 if just Service01 or Service02 are down.

and the list could go on with multiple scenarios...

* Service09 depends on Host 01
* Service12 depends on Host 01 AND/OR Host02
* Host03 depends on Serivce04
* Host03 depends on Service02 AND/OR Service06

Drawing1.jpg

Please include "Grouping" too :) We just got flooded with a bunch of pages last night because a server went down which caused instances from several datasources to go down.. OUCH! It would be great to group instances so that if one goes down.. that group pages and says hey something is wrong with this server.. then we can log in and go check.. rather than getting flooded by everything.

Same idea with grouping of servers... I could call a group "HKG POP"... a server goes down that I have put in that group.. or any instance alerts a critical.. just that one group pages and says hey a critcal event has happened in the HKG POP.... and if other servers go down... it's not going to page again if it already has and hasn't been resolved. ( I can see a few gotchas in there.. but with enough configuration choices.. the company can decide how they want to handle situations )

@Steve FrancisI finally got around to deploying and testing this, but it is not going well.  I tried a poll now on the Assign DS and I get "Fail to get the script result - sseId:0 NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getBytes() on null object".  Is this being impacted by the v2 API changes?

13 minutes ago, mnagel said:

@Steve FrancisI finally got around to deploying and testing this, but it is not going well.  I tried a poll now on the Assign DS and I get "Fail to get the script result - sseId:0 NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getBytes() on null object".  Is this being impacted by the v2 API changes?

Never mind -- I waded through the docs more thoroughly and found the section about defining the API credentials.