jamiemurphyit

Datapoint - Metric type - counter - without "rate/sec math"

I would like to request an option when saving a datapoint of not having rate/sec math on counters / derive type datapoints.
I have multiple custom datasources where I am trying to store the difference between two polls but the rate/sec math messes with this. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Jamie -

Good point. As a workaround, you can create a Complex Datapoint (https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/complex-datapoints/) to do what you need.

We maintain the datasource pollling interval as a token you can substitute into your complex datapoint expressions. Provided your units are per-second (or converted as such) you can translate your "rate datapoint" into a "difference datapoint" using something like:

rate_datapoint * ##POLLINTERVAL##

A little more detail on substitution tokens available in datasources creation are available at:

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/tokens-available-for-data-collection/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Its a bit fustrating to have to work backwords though and also have to round off the decimal points you end up with.

is there any plans to make this a native option. Eg derive with no rate math?

Hey @jamiemurphyit, no plans currently. I understand your frustration with the rounding, as I've used this workaround myself. I haven't heard many users asking for this.

Do you mind if I ask for more details about your use case for this?