Joe Skup

Tuning a collector to work on a t2.micro EC2 instance?

Question

I know that it is not exactly recommended/reliable to use a 1GB/1CPU Core machine to monitor...but it seems that installing a "nano" sized collector on a t2.micro AWS instance and having it just monitor itself brings the AWS instance to a screeching halt.

I am seeing that when the collector is running, top shows that CPU pegs to 100% almost nonstop. Memory is not hit quite as bad..but it does get up there to use 500mb+

But the CPU load average is 5+ cores and it makes the system unusable. Sometimes this causes the instance to throw status alerts & even crash.

Question: Has anybody been able to tweak the wrapper.conf etc files to make the collector CPU load less demanding?

• Upvote 1

1 answer to this question

Update- I found the solution:

Edit agent.conf:
1. collector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded datasource collection mechanism.
2. eventcollector.xxxx.enable=false on every unused/unneeded eventsource collection mechanism.
3. sbproxy.pool.connections=25
4. sbproxy.linux.threadPoolSize=60
5. collector.snmp.threadpool=25
6. discover.workers=5

In my case, I pretty much am monitoring the collector machine only, and I've only left snmp, script & webpage-related collectors enabled and this seems to have done the trick.

The last few configurations might not be necessary..but everything seems to be working fine with these configs..!

Edited by Joe Skup
  • Like 1