Sign in to follow this  
Maurice Harnett

Alerting on difference to historic value

Question

Hi,

I'm new to LM (and Linux) and could use a pointer or three.

I'm attempting to monitor the health of a web application on a linux box. I'm retrieving values from a logfile in json format and have gotten as far as being able to graph the output but what I really need is to be able to compare the value of a particular datapoint from that file to the equivalent value from a week ago. If the value has increased by >15%, there's a problem and I need to alert on that. I've been able to configure a Device Metric Trend report which gives me these values but I'm not sure how to alert based on it. Could anybody advise?

thanks,

MH

1 answer to this question

you "could" do this with a complex datapoint using groovy (https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/creating-complex-datapoints-with-groovy/) and using the get data rest API to retrieve the value you're looking for and do the math. It's complicated to do, but feasible.

This would be a good idea to raise in the feature requests, I believe others have asked for this same functionality.