Mike Moniz

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Community Reputation

44 Excellent


About Mike Moniz

  • Rank
    Thought Leader

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Just to keep in mind and for others searching the forums, Host Status will tell you if a device stop responding to the collector, not necessarily if the server rebooted. It's possible you can get a host down alert due to something like a network issue, especially if you have to monitor over a vpn connection. The Uptime check can be used to alert on real reboots since it reports the time since the last reboot and you can alert if the uptime is less then X seconds for example. This can also catch situations where you VM reboots very quickly (< 1 minute) where it's possible monitoring will not even catch it. But in your case, it does sound like you want to have fast notification on system not responding, regardless of cause. So even something like a fast Ping check would work. Just keep in mind that you can get false positives if you are too aggressive. Also since you are talking about an SFTP server, you might want to add a specific check that tests the SFTP server more directly. Might want to check http://blog.mikesuding.com/2017/04/08/monitor-sftp-site-connection-and-login/
  2. I'm looking at options to provide the external IP address that a device has. Basically I would normally query a WhatIsMyIP.net like service to get the external IP address, but I'm wondering if LogicMonitor provides a simple webservice on *.logicmonitor.com that can provide the external IP so I don't have to worry about getting a 3rd party site whitelisted with our customers?
  3. It will rely on ICMP and other things too... "...the idleinterval datapoint within the HostStatus DataSource measures the amount of time in seconds since the LogicMonitor Collector was able to collect data from your host via built-in collection methods (SNMP, Ping, WMI, ESX, etc.)... Note that data collected by script DataSources does not affect the value of the idleinterval datapoint." https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/logicmodules/datasources/creating-managing-datasources/host-status-host-behavior/
  4. You can nest if's together in the same kinda way you do in Excel. This is just off the top of my head and untested, but you would do something like: if(snmpDown,1,if(un(upTime),0,1))
  5. Check the system.collectordesc property on the INFO tab for that device and make sure it's pointing to a valid working Collector. If it's not, then Manage the device and change the collector assignment there. Either way if this device use to be a collector, then you likely want to remove the "collector" category also.
  6. That's the basic idea. You can't make complex datapoint via groovy so snmpDown would be a normal datapoint which you can then refer to it in PeerDown. Also I think you can just wrap the snmp.get/walk line or section in a try/catch and that will let you know the snmp request failed.
  7. That is my understanding too, LM has server-side logic to declare a device dead after 6 minutes (but Host Status will alert after 5min), so any alerts that occur before those 6 minutes will cause notifications. PeerDown is using the un() function so it's specifically looking if it's NaN or not. I don't know how this particular DataSource or Cisco EIGRP works so I'm not clear if upTime can tell the difference between peer down or switch down, there might be a trick to do so. But in a more generic solution and since this is a script based DataSource, I likely would add a new DataPoint and code for something like snmpDown that reports 1 if snmp isn't working (aka device will be dead soon) and then modify the PeerDown to also check if snmp is working before alerting.
  8. heh, still looking for that key-value store huh? :)
  9. I keep forgetting that is even an option. Are there good use cases for setting instance level properties I should be aware of?
  10. Good point, I can't confirm there was groovy datasources at the time. WinCPU switched to using groovy somewhat recently, likely after my tests.
  11. That is interesting because I tested something like that previously (I wanted to see what Windows SNMP can provide without WMI) but I had added the device to a group that had bad wmi properties pre-setup so it never had wmi working. Perhaps it's cached good creds? Can you try restarting the collector? Also you are setting the cred properties on the device you want to use the creds on? Not the collector device itself.
  12. Oh, I'm bookmarking that link! It looks like there is an option for open(Host,user,pass), although I wouldn't suggest doing that though since that breaks convention. https://www.logicmonitor.com/support-files/javadocs/28606/com/santaba/agent/groovyapi/win32/WMI.html#open(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
  13. Make sure you are providing the domain within the username if that applies, for example wmi-user = "Domain\Username".
  14. I suspect that the WMISession class automatically uses the wmi.* properties when it exists. I suggest you reach out to your rep or talk with support.
  15. You can change the frequency of the ping check by modifying the Collect Every field for the PingMulti- DataSource, if you want to change it globally. I don't believe you can change the number of pings without switching to scripts. I believe it's hardcoded to send 10 pings (unless it's in some collector config somewhere). You would want to send multiple pings like that though so you get a more precise packet loss datapoint though.